Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I Lie to My Friends

# I Lie to My Friends

I lie to my friends, a lot.  Not about anything of importance but…I live in Idaho and in Idaho all the best things are found at the end of miles and miles of winding road.  What does this have to do with lying to my friends? Plenty.

I have always had the wandering bug. My idea of a great afternoon is to explore a backcountry road I’ve never been on before.  Sometimes, just for giggles I’ll pick up an Idaho map, close my eyes, and point.  Wherever my finger lands is where we head for the day or weekend.  I’ve discovered many great destinations that way, and that is where my problems begin.

As much as I love the Idaho backcountry, I love sharing it with friends and family more.  But to share it I am often forced to lie.  I recall, years ago, telling a good friend about Warm Lake.  I painted a picture of the beautiful crystal-clear little lake, sitting peacefully below the rugged mountain peaks. 

She looked excited and then asked, “But how far is it?”

The look on her face told me I needed to answer carefully.  I smiled brightly, “Only about one hundred miles!”

My friend readily agreed to the trip based on the information I’d given her.  What I failed to tell her is that those actual one hundred-nineteen miles from Nampa would take three hours to drive−a lie by omission.

Highway 55 twists and bends following the Payette River for most of the journey.  The canyons are quiet, shaded and green.  The river roars in places with whitewater and in others it slips by silently as placid as pond water.  I am happy to watch all the sumptuousness out the window; the average speed of 35 mph doesn’t bother me at bit.
 
That weekend was one of the best trips of my friend’s life.  She loved the little lodge, the mountain peaks, the clear cold water, the fishing and nearby hot springs.  She forgave me pretty quick for my little white lie. And, since then my lying has become a habit.

I’ll never understand what folks have against bumping along a dirt road or a twisted paved road to find out what is at the end.  For me, it is a supreme pleasure; the journey is what matters.  I now lie to my friends by omission regularly and without regret. It is, in my opinion, in their best interest. They always forgive me once we are there. The Idaho backcountry never fails to impress.


Driving Directions
Beginning on Highway 55 it is nearly straight shot to Warm Lake.  The only turns involved are a right turn after the second bridge in Cascade−Warm Lake Rd−and another right onto N. Shoreline Dr.   For more information about North Shore Lodge and its amenities find them on Facebook or contact them via internet http://www.northshorelodgeidaho.com/.






5 comments:

  1. I haven't been there in years. Love that area! And hey, even the drive to it is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said Jacquie, it is a lie but a lie for their own good. :)

      Delete
  2. I remember that lie. It's the best lie I have ever been told. In fact I turned around and told the same lie to my father when he came to visit. My daughter remembers getting a splinter that my dad wanted to get out with a knife. She was too scared, but allowed you to with a razor upon our return. Love the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, some of my most cherished memories too.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete